All About Guardians of the S.E.A.A.
Guardians of the S.E.A.A. is the new conservation group of S.E.A. Aquarium. The group will take greater strides in supporting conservation research, education and public engagement efforts by bringing together a community of like-minded people and organisations collaborating with S.E.A. Aquarium to protect the marine environment.
The group will support researchers and scientists dedicated to increasing understanding of the ocean. It will also lead and support local initiatives and campaigns that will impact and improve ocean health.
To protect our ocean by partnering with the community.
- Explore: by supporting researchers and scientists who are dedicated to increasing our understanding of the ocean.
- Protect: by leading and support conservation actions that will directly impact and improve ocean health.
- Educate: by activating a movement of enthusiastic people who are inspired to take action.
The society will focus on tackling priority issues such as ocean plastic pollution, sustainable seafood and climate action for the ocean in Southeast Asia and Australasia over the next five years.
Partners and Supporters
Its goal is to create a movement of enthusiastic and motivated people in Singapore working together to protect the ocean, comprising:
- Partners: government agencies, corporates, not-for-profit groups, academic and research institutions and local interest groups.
- Supporters: Resorts World Sentosa team members, youth ambassadors, volunteers and marine enthusiasts.
Become a supporter by joining Guardians of the S.E.A.A. Individuals and organisations who wish to submit project proposals and/or join can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re helping to reduce plastic pollution and here’s how:
- We’re working internally to reduce single-use plastics at S.E.A. Aquarium in our F&B and retail outlets.
- We’re signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with James Cook University Singapore, to explore opportunities to collaborate on research.
- We’re embarking on a national campaign to reduce plastic usage in schools in partnership with Zero Waste SG.
- We’re becoming the ‘Official Singapore sponsor of World Oceans Day 2017’ and working alongside other AZA Aquariums around the world to raise awareness for ocean plastic pollution through onsite interpretive.
- We’ve got volunteer support from secondary and tertiary institutions who are engaging the public on plastic pollution.
- We’re organising bi-annual Reef Cleanups and supporting Project AWARE’s Dive Against Debris.
- We’re organising bi-annual Beach Cleanups with the aid of International Coastal Cleanup Singapore (ICCS).
We’re increasing our efforts to engage the public on conservation:
- We launched our first ever Dive Photography Competition on the 8th June.
- We’re creating an online community via Facebook so that we can share information easily with our partners and supporters.
- We’re working with grassroot communities on a 2-part ‘Healthy Ocean, Healthy Us’ Art Mural.
- We’re launching a speaker series, whereby we are bringing key figures to engage the public on topics to excite their curiosity of the ocean. Terry Garcia, former Chief Science and Exploration Officer of National Geographic kickstarts the series.
- We’re launching monthly Guardians of the S.E.A.A. events at the aquarium for the public to get involved in.